Sunday, November 20, 2011

Better, Less Money & Local or Where Do Your Veggies Come From?


If you are fortunate enough to be near the Eaton/ Oxford area, you have a fantastic resource in the Boulder Belt Eco-Farm.  Right now they are featuring carrots of all colors: orange, white, yellow, red and purple that they just dug up this morning! Wouldn't this be a beautiful and tasty addition to your Thanksgiving feast?  

They are $3 a pound. Just call (937) 456- 9724 to make an appointment and go pick them up. They are located on the west side of US 127, a mile north of the Eaton Wal-Mart and 3 miles south of I-7- (exit 10). They have other wonderful items available, too, so  if you're close, check them out!


Be sure to ask about the Farm Share Initiative for 2012. I believe the regular shares work out to just under $21/ week, which always makes me reconsider if I'm really too far away from this farm when Lucy posts photos of the weekly shares! (You're not going to find this amount or those particular organic veggies for that price in the stores, and they won't be local.) 


2 comments:

  1. Cyndi, thanks for the mention. I do want to point out that the picture of the CSA share is what would be in a large share, not the regular (that will be half the food in the picture). the picture represents a share that costs around $33 a week.

    And do know 1/3 of our members are from Dayton. It's closer than Oxford, as a matter of fact. What our members do is get together and share the driving out to the farm. This saves gas and creates stronger community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, thanks for clarifying that - it's obviously a terrific value, and I'm pretty knowledgeable of the store prices.

    It always frustrates me, too, that to buy some organic produce in the stores, we're not buying local at all! The Red Bell peppers I can regularly find in Kroger stores, for example, (but only in some Kroger stores) are from Belgium. This just doesn't make sense. Today at Earth Fare I noticed that the org. Red Bells had jumped up to 3.99 each! (I don't know how far they've traveled! At that price, maybe around the globe twice!) I realize it’s past the season, but wow... needless to say, I passed. I'm usually good about dicing them and freezing them when I get a lot in season, but I just love them fresh, too.

    I also didn't realize it was an option to share the driving. I will have to work on this. I love the idea of getting an assortment of whatever is perfectly in season!

    ReplyDelete